Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
HexRoller / Re: HexRoller lost connection scored as 0
« Last post by Tim B. on 30/07/21, 12:29am »
I was wondering how other games handle this issue and discovered the following in old Raging Bulls post...

(...)

Regarding your suggestion, we thought about it, but the problem is exactly the one you mention. We cannot be certain that current score is a minimum number of points. It is possible that the score will be reduced with more moves. We try to standardise everything and I am afraid there is no way to be fair with everyone without complexifying the code overly (and increasing the development time and the likely of a bug). Our next game will have the same issue too.

So the only thing we can realistically really do is consider an unfinished game as equivalent to the worst possible performance (which is 1000 for Raging Bulls).

Always finish your games is the main advice here.

If the same strategy (assigning the worst possible performance) was used for HexRoller, it would explain my zero (0) though, with HexRoller, there is less opportunity to reduce one's score in future moves.  Regardless, providing a way to override a really bad result (i.e. by resuming the game from point of interruption -- and perhaps only before another game is started) would still be my preferred solution.
HexRoller / HexRoller lost connection scored as 0
« Last post by Tim B. on 29/07/21, 11:36pm »
I had finished 4 of 6 HexRoller turns when my connection was unexpectedly lost and the game ended.  When I was able to reconnect, I found that the match had been scored as a zero (0), dropping my rating by 30 points.  This seems a bit extreme.  I realize that there is probably no way to prove that an interruption was accidental and we do not want to reward people for deliberately abandoning games but I would have expected SOME credit for the score I had accumulated to that point.  Better yet, if HexRoller is an untimed, single-player game, it would be nice to be able to resume the game at the point of interruption.  FYI, there is no "final" screenshot to share but a replay of the match is available and shows that, at the end of turn 4, I had 32 points.

From the game before: https://www.happymeeple.com/upload/game/game_5232169_148498.jpg
From the game after: https://www.happymeeple.com/upload/game/game_5232204_148498.jpg

From the game in question:
Date   7/29/2021 4:58:09 PM
Game   HexRoller
(1)   Tim B. (2107)   0 pts
(2)   (0)   0 pts
Screenshots taken by Tim B.

Happy Meeple community / Re: Daily Quest Restart
« Last post by Marlene H. on 27/07/21, 04:56am »
An attention grabbing warning sounds like a good idea.

Maybe also, if the person is completing the last game they need to complete the daily when the clock turns over, they get credit for the game that was begun before it ran out.
Happy Meeple community / Daily Quest Restart
« Last post by Haplo on 27/07/21, 04:41am »
I don't like the Daily Quest restarting when I'm about to finish it! I don't usually pay attention to the time remaining. Why can't players who didn't finish get an extension? Maybe an extra hour if they are taken unawares? Or at least give people partial credit. It makes me feel like I have wasted my time when I get cut off unexpectedly.

You'd think I'd learn, but I honestly don't play on here consistently enough for it to sink in (pay attention to when goals restart). I like playing here, but eventually one of the numerous problems with the site drives me away for a while. I'm glad things are progressing, but more needs to be fixed/ made more user-friendly.

At the very least, can you please, PLEASE, have a warning appear when time is running out? I would say make the warning appear when there is only one hour left, and make it stand out so players can't miss it. I would greatly appreciate it!
Lost Cities / Re: Is scoring of Lost Cities unfair/biased?
« Last post by Mike A. on 24/07/21, 01:54am »
All the games here have a substantial amount of luck involved. That's why we play them and not chess. Anyone can win any of these at any time. That's especially true of Finito, which I surprisingly still enjoy even though it's maddening.

Regarding Lost Cities, as has been said, part of what makes it fun and exciting is trying to figure out how much you should give up in some expeditions to go for the big bang ones. The Happy Meeple version plays a bit different than the official game because it's one hand instead of three. That makes luck much more important here.
« Last post by Meri R. on 23/07/21, 07:38pm »
It's 20 points for the bonus, but it can be a killer, and why it forms the basis of a strong strategy. There's really not much you can do to mitigate it if your opponent gets 8 out of the 12 cards for any particular expedition, especially if they have a couple of $ cards in the run. It's a mix of luck and clever hand management in that respect.

The trouble with removing that 20 point bonus is that it then becomes a game purely of who gets the high cards, so is then far more luck based. Playing to achieve that 8 card run, and knowing it will ultimately trump simply having 8s, 9s or 10s in any colour, is what makes the game.

In answer to the original post... yeah, it's a question of adapting, and knowing that those 8-card runs will destroy you when they happen.

Lost Cities isn't my favourite, personally speaking, because the luck of the draw is still very swingy. Hanamikoji is far more tactical, but obviously very different. Keltis Or adds dice manipulation to the Lost Cities set up, but the games take twice as long if not more, and that drags from about two-thirds in if you know you're probably going to lose.
« Last post by Huggable T. on 23/07/21, 07:09pm »
Meant to say its the strategy of the game - do you go for one suit and try to get the bonus at the expense of other expeditions or go for multiple expeditions and try to boost your points that way.
« Last post by Huggable T. on 23/07/21, 07:05pm »
Hi Lieven.  Lost Cities is not my strong game but I think its because the rules are that you get 50 bonus points if you make eight cards of the same colour suit.  You needed one more re your green expedition to achieve the same result.  I hope this helps.  If you knew this already - I apologise.
Lost Cities / Is scoring of Lost Cities unfair/biased?
« Last post by Lieven D. on 23/07/21, 12:29pm »
I have the feeling Lost Cities is awarding to much points to one exceptional expedition, while it doesn't take into account all played expeditions.
If you don't get what I mean, take a look at the attached game between Botanist and me.

Botanist has played 4 expeditions, of which 1 is exceptional (98 points), 1 is good (26 points), and 2 others are bad (-9 points and -14 points).
I have played 3 expeditions, that are all good (at least 20 points per expedition).

Yet in final scoring, Botanist has 30 more points than me (101 vs 71).
I somehow feel this is unfair, but maybe that's just how scoring works and I have to adapt to it.

What do you think?
Cartographers / Re: Best Great City
« Last post by Stephanie E. on 02/07/21, 06:27pm »
That was quite the commitment from the start!  Way to go!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10