Author Topic: Why you should turn sound effects on  (Read 18072 times)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Why you should turn sound effects on
« on: 15/03/16, 06:52pm »
OK. Sound and music does not suit every circumstance. So it is reasonnable to turn them off.

But here are a few reasons why you should at least turn on sound effects (Fx).

1) you get notified (bell sound) when an online match starts. You can safely do something else while you wait for an opponent and you will not miss the start of the game.
2) You get notified (bell sound) when it is your turn to play and you don't have much time left. You will not lose the game because you played too slowly or because you mistakenly thought it was your opponent's turn.
3) You get notified when a friend logs in (whistle sound). Very convenient isn't it?
4) You get notified when a new message is posted in the inn chat or in a personal chat. You won't miss a message any more.
5) You get a little sound on active buttons. you see better what is active and what is not.
6) You get a sound when you click on a button. You then know that your action has been received by the browser.

To turn on sound effects, look at the top right of the menu page. Click on the little sound icon! Then the 3 sound settings will appear.

We also recommend to turn on atmosphere and music but they are less important. Atmosphere is for the menu page only whereas Music is for the games mostly (but is also played if you select a game via the green dice interface on the main menu)

PS: please note that because of technical limitations on those systems, Android machines can only play Sound effects (not atmosphere and music) while iOS machines cannot play any sound at all.

« Last Edit: 17/03/16, 10:42am by Happy Meeple »

Magic Soda

Re: Why you should turn sound effects on
« Reply #1 on: 15/09/17, 09:42pm »
I am not seeing the sound icon at the top right. Which menu page do you mean?

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 21/09/17, 09:51am »
On the main menu page (the one where you select the games), you can see the big green dice in the top-left corner. Above it, there are 5 small grey icons. The sound icon is the 3rd one.

I hope this helps.

Jamie A.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 24/09/17, 12:55am »
How can we get items 1, 2, 3 without also getting 5 and 6? 

Thank you.

Magic Soda

« Reply #4 on: 26/09/17, 01:52am »
On the main menu page (the one where you select the games), you can see the big green dice in the top-left corner. Above it, there are 5 small grey icons. The sound icon is the 3rd one.

I hope this helps.

Yes, thanks. I was thrown off looking in the top right (it's top left).

Jamie A.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 07/10/17, 02:24am »
How can we get items 1, 2, 3 without also getting 5 and 6? 

Thank you.

Still interested in this...

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 07/10/17, 01:54pm »
Now I understand the question, you were referring to the initial post.

The answer is you can't unfortunately.

But are 5) and 6) really annoying?

Jamie A.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 09/10/17, 02:50pm »
The answer is you can't unfortunately.

But are 5) and 6) really annoying?
Well, that's pretty subjective. :)

I can only say that I turned on the notifications to avoid accidentally defaulting any games, however when actually playing found the sound bothersome enough that I turned it back off and left it off. 

Jamie A.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 27/10/17, 12:15am »
Another way to think of this is that it seems generally preferable to separate in-game sounds from other sounds, when it comes to available options.

Unicoherent

« Reply #9 on: 21/12/20, 03:51am »
People are talking about 5) and 6) but what I am most concerned about is 4). Sometimes the chat at the Inn gets very busy and you just aren't interested in it. Personal conversations I can understand wanting notifications for, but if I close the window for the Inn's chat will the notifications for new messages there go away too???

Geraldine M.

« Reply #10 on: 22/12/20, 02:21am »
For me, 3, 4 and 5 are all annoying enough that I will keep the sound turned off despite the benefits of 1.

Hugo M.

« Reply #11 on: 09/03/21, 03:46am »
Hello, number 4) "You get notified when a new message is posted in the inn chat or in a personal chat." doesn't work at me (newest Firefox under Windows). An option in the Settings would be nicely were players can choose wether they want notifications on all new messages or only from friends.