Author Topic: Bug: cards not shown in hand cards  (Read 15091 times)

Iris S.

Bug: cards not shown in hand cards
« on: 17/03/18, 12:26pm »
Hi guys,
I just had a weird bug when playing Siberia and was told to report it in the forum.
For my turn I drew cards, when the stack contained 0 cards. The game continued as if I received cards, but they were never shown to me. I did not see them in my hand cards. The spots where the freshly drawn cards should have been were blocked though, cards I received afterwards were arranged right of the blocked (empty) spaces. I could not see or click the phantom cards. Otherwise the game continued normally.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Re: Bug: cards not shown in hand cards
« Reply #1 on: 17/03/18, 10:24pm »
Thanks for reporting on this. I have just credited you with 300 gold coins to say thank you.

It looks like the cards were received by the browser and probably it thought it had placed them at the right place.

I may be wrong but it looks more like a browser temporary issue than a bug. People have sometimes reported cards being displayed black which definitely is a browser problem. And maybe this time, it was something similar.

What browser do you use?

Anyone else saw this behaviour?

Iris S.

« Reply #2 on: 18/03/18, 11:19am »
Hi,
I'm using Firefox 59.0.1 (64-Bit).
It may very well be just my browser's issue. I can't replicate the behaivor, getting the draw stack to exactly 0 is to much effort ;-) If it happens again, I'll let you know.
And thanks for the coins :-)

Iris S.

« Reply #3 on: 18/03/18, 12:53pm »
Now I've done it again, but this time I only had one "phantom card". Again, it happened when drawing cards from an empty pile. I made a screenshot at the end of the game. The last thing the game always does is hand you a card after your last turn. Here you can see that last card I received was arranged right of the empty spot (that is blocked by a "phantom card").

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 18/03/18, 05:32pm »
I see.

Have you just started playing Siberia Card? Did it not happen in the past?

I think something is corrupted.

You can try either of these solutions:

1) Close Firefox and restart. That may be enough. Browsers are sensitive things.
2) Oopen a training game of Siberia Card, then press Ctrl-F5 to force a reload, clearing the cache in the process. Your first game food will be lost.
3) if this did not work, then type about:preferences#privacy in the address bar, then:
3a) in the History section, click on the links that are in the sentence: You may want to clear your recent history, or remove individual cookies.
3b) click on the button "Clear now" in the Cached web content section

If it still does not help, try with another browser.

Try 1) first, then let us know if it worked. In case it comes back for another game/user, we'll have the solution ready.
Then 2), etc.

Iris S.

« Reply #5 on: 20/03/18, 05:59pm »
Thank you for the detailed instructions.
I played Siberia for a while, first time I had problems I reported it here. My browser was definitely closed between the two reported occasions. So I tried step 2) today. Let's see what happens...

Iris S.

« Reply #6 on: 02/05/18, 03:57pm »
Am I the only one this who has this bug!? This happened to me again - twice in the last two days. When the draw pile is shuffled, I get non-existing hand cards. Refreshing the page with Ctrl+F5 did not fix it, in fact it made it worse today:
As my turn, I drew 2 cards. Since the pile was empty, the game shuffled the cards, dealed me one card, then continued. I refreshed the page with Ctrl+F5 to see the second card, but in fact this made the first card disappear also. I had 2 "blocked" spaces in my hand as previously described.

Iris S.

« Reply #7 on: 19/05/18, 11:03am »
This happens to me again and again. But I seem to be the only player having this problem. All your suggested solutions didn't change anything. I trief following the instructions from this thread https://www.happymeeple.com/forum/lost-cities/bug-tiles-showing-clear/
But I couldn't really follow the instructions since there was no image source URL to click. I made you a screenshot anyways, in the hope that oyu might make more sense of it than I am able to.
There should be a card in the second slot, but it is not shown, not clickable and I can't find the part of the code that might tell me why.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 21/05/18, 09:00pm »
Thanks for the screenshot. I can't see much from that, unfortunately.

I suppose you right-clicked on the location of the 2nd card. Can you confirm?

So far, the only thing noticeable is Adblock Plus.

Can you try turning off Adblock?

Maybe this will solve your issue. Ad blockers can do stupid things.

Thanks!

PS: next time this happens, have a look at the console too! And maybe send me the complete content of the console. I might find something there.

Iris S.

« Reply #9 on: 23/05/18, 11:30am »
Hey,
I tried turning off the Addblocker, I know they can lead to problems but I didn't even think about that option.
Unfortunately, it didn't help. I got handed an "empty" card again today.
I right-clicked the empty spot that should have contained a card, I did same thing when I sent you the screenshot earlier.
I noticed a "pass-button" that I never saw during a game of Siberia. But again, I can't make much sense of the code.
I copied the content of the console to a text file, I hope that will help.

Iris S.

« Reply #10 on: 23/05/18, 11:31am »
I forgot to attatch the text file. Here it is.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 25/05/18, 02:52pm »
Iris,

I have been able to compare your logs with normal logs and found the issue.

I first noticed that the reshuffling took ages (9s compared to 2.8s on my machine) and later found out that this was the root of the issue (due to very bad programming). We usually check that an animation is finished before starting the next one. But for Siberia Card, this was not the case in this particular instance. So because your reshuffling was very long, we dealt the card to you before the reshuffling was completed. So your missing cards were probably back in the deck in the end.

I had noticed the issue at the time of checking the programmer's code (before SC was released) and had even written a note about it. But I did not go as far as to correct the code. I will now do it. Unfortunately, this won't be in the next 7-10 days. So please be patient! Or use a faster machine in the meantime (maybe Chrome browser will be faster).

Thanks for all you have done! Very much appreciated.

To thank you, I have put you under Magic Potion for the next 3 weeks or so. Enjoy!

I will let you know when the bug is corrected!

Nicolas.

Iris S.

« Reply #12 on: 26/05/18, 02:53pm »
Hi,
thank you for the update and thank you for the magic potion!
I'm so glad you found the root of the problem! I started to think it was black magic that only happened to me and only on a full moon.
I'll gladly wait for 10 days now that the mystery is solved :-)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 06/06/18, 10:29am »
The bug is now corrected. Let us know if something wrong happens again!