Author Topic: Not a fan of the new white "shadow" on played tiles  (Read 20567 times)

Shannon H.

It may just be me, but I'm not a fan of the new white shadow on played tiles in Lost Cities. It is distracting and I don't think it is necessary. I think the old colors were better.

Jamie A.

• Global Moderator
Re: Not a fan of the new white "shadow" on played tiles
« Reply #1 on: 27/03/18, 04:57am »
For me the pulsating white everywhere is brighter than I would prefer. In the tutorial or even early training it might have been helpful, but once the game is understood I need to focus on the cards at hand, mine and theirs, and all the pulsating is distracting from that.

Soomin H.

« Reply #2 on: 27/03/18, 01:22pm »
I agree... I have my computer dimmed and the white light is still so bright and distracting it's giving me a headache... I admit I'm a little sensitive (hence the dimming and the use of blue light filters) so maybe I'm in the minority, but it really hurts my eyes and makes me not want to play...  :'(

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 27/03/18, 02:28pm »
Guys, there are 3 places where we use white glows.

1) around the cards in hand when it is your turn
2) around the played cards in the expeditions
3) around the main pile and discard piles

I am not sure if we need to change all of them.
Also, I'd like to  hear about everyone. Do you all agree that white glows are too bright?
Are you getting used to it little by little?

Mike M.

« Reply #4 on: 27/03/18, 08:23pm »
I don't prefer it.  I've played a bit with it now.  To say I am getting used to it is a bit misleading.  I still don't like it/think it adds anything, but I don't find it as annoying.  Hope this helps and doesn't sound too harsh.

Side question: What were the issues/comments/reasons for adding the white backlight?

Rebecca H.

« Reply #5 on: 27/03/18, 08:28pm »
I find it jarringly bright, as well. Definitely distracting to me.

Stephanie E.

« Reply #6 on: 27/03/18, 08:33pm »
I agree...and have said it elsewhere so I apologize for repeating... but  the more I play with this new change... the more I hate it!   I will go as far as to say that the white shadow is so disruptive and annoying that I don't even want to continue playing and that makes me sad, because I have been coming here to play for a pretty long time.  Please change it back to the way it was.  It is not necessary and does not add to the game. 

I completely agree with Jamie... I think it is a great tool for the tutorial section.

Thanks for asking what we think!

Derek G.

« Reply #7 on: 27/03/18, 09:38pm »
Guys, there are 3 places where we use white glows.

1) around the cards in hand when it is your turn
2) around the played cards in the expeditions
3) around the main pile and discard piles

I am not sure if we need to change all of them.
Also, I'd like to  hear about everyone. Do you all agree that white glows are too bright?
Are you getting used to it little by little?

For me, #1 is by far the biggest issue. The pulsating glow around the cards in my hand is quite distracting when I'm trying to focus on deciding what card to play.

Edit: Actually, I dislike #3 a lot as well. That glow is too bright!
« Last Edit: 27/03/18, 09:42pm by Derek G. »

Iris S.

« Reply #8 on: 27/03/18, 11:32pm »
The brightness of the shadow doesn't bother me much, but the pulsating and blinking everywhere really annoys me! It's way too much a distraction when playing, especially when you are not a beginner anymore. I agree that it is a good tool for tutorials and maybe training games to see what you options are durign each step of the game.
As for what bothers me most - definitely No. 1 (cards in hand when it is your turn). The blinking and pulsating is just distracting.
But also case 2 (played cards in the expeditions) is unneccessary - why would you need to highlight a played card?! The thing about highlights is, when you highlight EVERYTHING, the highlights get kind of meaningless...
This also applys to other games, the blinking, cards and spots in Keltis Cards for example are toally unnecessary and rather distracting than helpful. All the movement and blinking and spinning  makes it harder to focus on the actual game. Maybe you could dial the whole highlights-and-blinking-thing back a bit in general?

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 27/03/18, 11:54pm »
Maybe you could dial the whole highlights-and-blinking-thing back a bit in general?

Done!

We have just made all 3 points better (hopefully).

As for #2, we have 3 options. See below image. We went for the second image (thin black glow) but we could change to the other ones if you prefer.

Huggable T.

« Reply #10 on: 28/03/18, 12:08am »

Hi All

I just played "Lost Cities" to see what the chat was all about and I must admit - I am not a fan of the white shadow.  I don't think that it is the brightness that is the problem - its more a case that its a distraction.  Personally I would prefer the game as it was previous but that is only my opinion.  I will still continue to play it but I don't really consider this to be an improvement.

All the best folks and continue to enjoy the games on here - win or lose

Wayne (huggable T)

Iris S.

« Reply #11 on: 28/03/18, 08:18am »
Thank you for considering our opinions! I think Lost Cities is much better now! I could still do without the pulsating white shadow around the hand cards, but they are already less distracting now now that they are dimmed.
And I think other games should be less glowy, too. Although I have to find the time to play some more, befor I can give you more detailled feedback.

Soomin H.

« Reply #12 on: 28/03/18, 01:03pm »
Ooh~ I like the dimmed effects a lot more~ it's much less distracting and doesn't hurt my eyes ^.^ Thanks so much~ ^.^

Shannon H.

« Reply #13 on: 28/03/18, 06:39pm »
Thank you for making the changes.

Annelle L.

« Reply #14 on: 30/03/18, 05:32am »
Hi

I found the white shadows very bright, and after a few games it's really tiring for the eyes.

Would it please be possible to remove them altogether?  (or at least make the white part half the width and less bright )