Author Topic: Have your say on daily quests!  (Read 23911 times)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Have your say on daily quests!
« on: 07/10/16, 04:35pm »
Daily quests are coming very soon. Everything is almost ready. We only need the last bit of the puzzle, which is generating new quests every day automatically. This should not take very long. Hopefully, daily quests will be launched next week.

Here are 22 daily quests that we have designed for you. They are all different.

The first line represents the main task.
The next lines are the criteria that need to be matched.  You may need to play specific opponents or specific games.
Finally the last line shows you the rewards (King's favors + Gold).

Can you please comment below?
Please let me know which daily quests you love and which daily quests you hate!
For example:
I love: #3, #7,#20
I hate: #17, #18, #19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#0 - Play 2 different games

Rewards: 10 + 10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1 - Play 2 different games

Play mode: Online

#2 - Play 3 different games

Rewards: 15 + 15
#3 - Play 5 matches

Play modes: Tutorial, Training

Rewards: 12 + 12
#4 - Play 5 matches

Rewards: 12 + 12
#5 - Play 5 matches

Games: Finito, Lost Cities, Level X

Rewards: 13 + 13
#6 - Play 3 matches

Games: Keltis Card, Siberia Card, Migrato

#7 - Win 4 matches

Play mode: Training
Opponents minimum rating: 1500

Rewards: 16 + 16
#8 - Win 3 matches

Game: Lost Cities
Opponents minimum rating: 1600

#9 - Win 3 matches

Rewards: 18 + 18
#10 - Win 6 matches

Game: Finito

#11 - Win 4 matches

Game: Lost Cities
Opponents minimum rating: 1400

#12 - Win 2 matches

Game: Keltis Card

#13 - Win 3 matches

Game: Level X

Rewards: 20 + 20
#14 - Win 2 matches

Game: Migrato

#15 - Play against 4 players

Opponents: Humans

#16 - Play against 3 players

#17 - Play against 3 players

#18 - Play against 3 players

#19 - Beat 2 players

#20 - Beat 3 players

#21 - Beat 4 players

Mike A.

Re: Have your say on daily quests!
« Reply #1 on: 07/10/16, 06:50pm »
They're all good. I have a few questions, though. Will everyone's daily quest be the same? If that is the case, I guess I don't like the ones that include training and tutorials.  They're great for people who haven't learned all the games, but they'd be a bore for those who already know how to play. My last comment/question is when does a day begin and end? Hopefully that will be displayed somewhere.

I've been looking forward to this feature. Good work!

Nn G.

« Reply #2 on: 08/10/16, 01:52am »
I didn't realise the daily quests were available. On my screen it says "coming soon..."

Do I need to be at a level to trigger them?

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 08/10/16, 09:46pm »
Mike,

Everyone will have the same daily quest (it will be easier for a meaningful daily quest ranking as well as for programming). Maybe beginner will not have the same ones in the first few days though. But at launch of the daily quests, everyone will have the same.

I understand that some daily quests may be less interesting than others, but we are trying to offer a variety of quests as well as incite players to discover new games. In any case, you don't have to play all quests. It is just an extra fun thing to do on Happy Meeple if you so wish.

Finally, daily quests should end around 4 or 5 am UK time, that's the time when there are fewer players here. This is to minimize issues with the end of a quest and the start of the next one.

Nn G.,

The daily quests are not launched yet. See at the top the original message.
Everyone will have access to them. At least at the time of launch. We may decide to hide them from beginners later.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Daily quests are now available
« Reply #4 on: 12/10/16, 11:40am »
Daily quests are now available.

Please let me know if there is anything wrong! The whole thing has not been tested as it should have. So there is an unusual probability of bugs.

If you find a bug, you'll be covered in gold.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
1st player to complete daily quest
« Reply #5 on: 12/10/16, 11:57am »
Thor M. completed the first daily quest.

Congratulations Thor!

Thor M.

« Reply #6 on: 12/10/16, 12:53pm »
Thanks, I only noticed after completion of the quest, that they are now availabel.

Thor

Mike A.

« Reply #7 on: 13/10/16, 12:47pm »
I just thought of something that I thought would be cool as another reward for completing a daily quest--replenishing food. Complete it, top out your food. That would be a nice, no cost bonus.

Guest 134529

« Reply #8 on: 13/10/16, 07:19pm »
I have a comment, and a question, about today's quest.   

One of the criteria says your opponent has to have a score of 1400 (or I guess better than 1400 is also acceptable).  Another criteria states you must play in on line mode.  Well, I've been on a tremendous losing streak in LC for the past couple of months.  As a result, when I play in on line mode, I am often given an opponent with a score below 1400.    If I play in training mode, I can chose to play a higher ranked opponent.  But when playing on line, I don't have a choice.

So does this mean that anyone who has a personal score (or rank, don't know which term is appropriate here) of under 1400 will not be able to do the quest today?

Mike A.

« Reply #9 on: 13/10/16, 11:47pm »
You could play people instead of bots in search of your quest.

Guest 134529

« Reply #10 on: 14/10/16, 02:21am »
That might work.  But it presumes you can find enough people available to play the number of games you'd need to play, during the time you have available to play. 

Bots are always available on short notice.

Also, I find it odd, that I win against the higher ranked bots more often than I win against the lower ranked bots. 

(Note:  I think the previous statement is true, but I'm not 100% sure.  I base it on the fact that when I play the training games, I almost always choose the highest ranked bot I can play.  Currently that is Botanist at 1582.  I haven't unlocked Verboten at 1657 yet.  When playing on line, I get stuck with Ghbost (1334) or Zombot (1392).

In any event, I win more of the training games (vs 1582 bot) more often than the online games against the 1334 or 1392 bot.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 14/10/16, 11:01am »
Hi Guest,

Some quests will not require you to play online so the minimum rating will most of the time not be an issue as you can go to training mode to find a suitable opponent.

But in this very case, you are right, it will be a bit difficult for you if you are below 1400 and only get low-rated bots.

Your best hope is to ask other players if they want to play with you. I consider this part of the quest. If quests are too easy, then they are boring. I am sure that some players will be happy to help you. So just give a shout and ask for help!

You also may want to know that the traffic is higher in the evening (around 7-8pm UK time). So that's your best chance to find opponents.

The minimum rating is there to ensure that the daily quest is not too easy. For some games and some players winning against low-rated players is too easy.

And if one quest is really too difficult, there is always the next one: tomorrow.

Looking at the figures, yesterday's quest was a success. You seemed to like it.

Finally, I am looking for ways to make daily quests even more interesting. For example, what about giving away one or two days of Magic Potion every 10 completed daily quests or something like that? Any other idea?

Nicolas.

Mike A.

« Reply #12 on: 14/10/16, 06:54pm »
Love the magic potion idea.
Do you think the reward for the daily quests could be displayed? That would be great.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 14/10/16, 10:52pm »
Mike,

Click on the + from the Daily Meeple to see the rewards!

I decided not to show this info on the main page to save space. As you know space is precious at the top of the page.

Guest 134529

« Reply #14 on: 20/11/16, 05:09am »
Hi Guest,

Some quests will not require you to play online so the minimum rating will most of the time not be an issue as you can go to training mode to find a suitable opponent.

But in this very case, you are right, it will be a bit difficult for you if you are below 1400 and only get low-rated bots.

Your best hope is to ask other players if they want to play with you. I consider this part of the quest. If quests are too easy, then they are boring. I am sure that some players will be happy to help you. So just give a shout and ask for help!

You also may want to know that the traffic is higher in the evening (around 7-8pm UK time). So that's your best chance to find opponents.

The minimum rating is there to ensure that the daily quest is not too easy. For some games and some players winning against low-rated players is too easy.

And if one quest is really too difficult, there is always the next one: tomorrow.

Looking at the figures, yesterday's quest was a success. You seemed to like it.

Finally, I am looking for ways to make daily quests even more interesting. For example, what about giving away one or two days of Magic Potion every 10 completed daily quests or something like that? Any other idea?

Nicolas.

Well, this quest has gotten even worse than when it first came out.  I finally got my rating back above 1400, but now you've raised the requirement to the opponent must be 1600 or above. 

Mike had suggested  to play people instead of bots.  But with my rating down in the 1400's there is a disincentive for anyone who wants to complete the quest to play with me.  If they win, they make no progress on their own quest, because my rating is too low. 

Nicholas mentioned playing between 7 and 8 UK time.  That is 2-3 in the afternoon my time - middle of the work day.  In my time zone, there are only 13 people listed as being 1600 or above.  In the USA South (also my time zone) there are 14 people.   So a total of 27 who would qualify from my time zone, IF they are still active. No way to tell if any of them are still active players.

As already mentioned, any of them who might be available have a disincentive to play with someone below 1600. 

Then, of course, I'd have to be able to find multiple people in my time zone, who are willing to play someone below 1600, in spite of the disincentive, because it's not likely I would win 3 games in a row against pretty strong players.  So far I haven't even been able to find 3 willing to play, let alone finding enough willing opponents that I'd be able to come up with 3 wins out of the pool.

In short, I think when you chose beating a high minimum score in a game for a daily quest, I think it would be better to offer this quest for several different games, or to allow it to be played in training mode where you can choose the level of your opponent.  (Though, for LC the highest bot I've unlocked is 1596, so it just misses qualifying)  I have a score above 1600 in 3 of the games - Siberia, Level X and Keltis Card.  I have no difficulty finding opponents on the days those games are part of the quest. 

But to require 3 wins, on line, with only one game choice, must exclude quite a few people simply because they can not find enough qualifying opponents.