Author Topic: Feature requests  (Read 47486 times)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Feature requests
« on: 06/01/17, 09:42am »
Please use this thread to ask for new features!

Darryn B.

Re: Feature requests
« Reply #1 on: 15/01/17, 03:26am »

D. C.

« Reply #2 on: 05/03/17, 10:01am »
Hi -- an undo-move feature would be nice to have -- I and an opponent of mine both experienced a need for this while playing Lost Cities; one can imagine it might be helpful in other games too.

Thanks for listening.

--D. C.

Jamie A.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 18/01/18, 03:43am »
This isn't really the type of request you were looking for however seems like the the most fitting location.

Going through the tutorial for Hanamikoji reminded me of something I've noticed here from time to time. The language can get to be rather relentlessly generic-male:

"He got the new card."
"He must now play one of his 4 actions."
"Let's see what he does!"
"...it is not important whether the user plays well or not, he will always progress"
"If he can win it, he’ll get a white meeple"

and etc. It does stand out as being somewhat anachronistic for the day. In fact I think it stands out a bit more on Happy Meeple simply because the site has such a welcoming and inclusive overall design.  :)  It's a small area where I think the text has a bit of room for improvement in catching up with the rest of the design.

Jeff M.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 18/01/18, 05:02am »
How about the ability to use Google translate to instantly translate other languages into the native language.  This function is available at boardgamearena.com and I really enjoy being able to speak (mostly clearly) to folks in other languages.  This functionality helps build communities within the chat session.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 18/01/18, 10:28am »
Thanks for your suggestions!

Jamie, how would you do this? I don't want to repeat "the opponent" in every sentence. And "he" is the pronoun that replaces it naturally. So what else can I use?

Jeff, Good idea of course. I had looked at this, but this appeared to be a bit complicated (as well as expensive as I remember).

Jamie A.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 18/01/18, 06:47pm »
Jamie, how would you do this? I don't want to repeat "the opponent" in every sentence. And "he" is the pronoun that replaces it naturally. So what else can I use?

The scattered "he's" sprinkled on various help pages should be easy to fix using common techniques on gender-neutral/gender-inclusive writing.

Lines such as:
"Once the player knows the rules, he is awarded a white meeple."

are generally tweaked to:
"Once a player knows the rules, they are awarded a white meeple."
"Once players know the rules, they are awarded a white meeple."
"When a player knows the rules, a white meeple is awarded."  --- or etc.

The all-male tutorial opponents is probably what you were really thinking about though, and I'm sure they would take more time given the number of tutorials.

The easiest option now may be to randomly select some tutorials and make the opponent a generic she. Players would note in short order that some are he and some are she. 

Probably the better option from the start would have been giving each tutorial opponent a unique name. That would allow (or have allowed for) an escape from the repetitiveness altogether with more natural writing using he/she and the name of the opponent.

"Maria got the new card."
"She must now play one of her 4 actions."
"Let's see what Maria does!"

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 19/01/18, 11:41am »
As a non-English native, I could never have thought of using "they" in "the player" sentences. I know that "everyone" has their say. But I would not have applied the "they" as you did.

It is going to be difficult to implement any change now. But I will keep this in mind for the future. The naming of the opponent is certainly a good idea. As the opponent is always Botessor, I could actually say "it" instead of "he". But our bots are a little bit humans after all this time, aren't they?

:)

Jamie A.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 19/01/18, 02:46pm »
As a non-English native, I could never have thought of using "they" in "the player" sentences. I know that "everyone" has their say. But I would not have applied the "they" as you did.

Yes, I thought that was probably the case. While there are still pockets of resistance in some formal sectors, even Shakespeare used the singular "they".  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Carter R.

« Reply #9 on: 19/01/18, 05:40pm »
I was thinking whenever a game ends in a draw between two players not bots could there be an option to rematch without paying any food against the same opponent.

Jamie A.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 07/02/18, 07:39am »
I think the "smite" action is contrary to the spirit of the Happy Meeple community. It is both negative and unkind. It's not even useful in a teaching sense because points aren't linked to specific posts (behaviors).

The software offers multiple implementation alternatives as noted here:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Features_and_Options#Karma

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 07/02/18, 09:45am »
Very good post. TBH, I did not even know what smite meant.

I have simplified the karma thing.

Geraldine M.

« Reply #12 on: 07/02/18, 11:30am »
I find it very distracting having popups telling me about new messages at the inn while I am playing. I understand some people might want these if they are looking out for a friend, but the ability to toggle them off would be great.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 07/02/18, 12:17pm »
Good point. Nobody really complained about that, but I was sure this would come up at some point. Anyone else annoyed by this?

Jamie A.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 08/02/18, 06:52am »
Very good post. TBH, I did not even know what smite meant.
I have simplified the karma thing.

Wow, if that's not the fastest change ever I'd be surprised - thank you!  :)