Author Topic: Disappointing Glastonbury  (Read 9992 times)

Haplo

Disappointing Glastonbury
« on: 28/01/18, 05:38am »
I really enjoyed playing this game at first. I was happy that even though I had some horrible ratings elsewhere, at least I did well at Glastonbury. But lately every game against the bot has been like playing Chess with Bobby Fisher. The AI is WAY too smart, and I want to play for fun, not have to think 5 moves ahead, as it seems to be doing. Why can't the difficulty of the AI me more variable? If this continues, I'll probably stop playing.

Carter R.

Re: Disappointing Glastonbury
« Reply #1 on: 29/01/18, 08:10pm »
If you are troubled by the AI, then maybe you would just want to train on the easier bots. Training doesn't affect your rating and is less food. Normally, I try to grab as much of my color and the opponent's color and then some spells that will help me in each game.

Chris H.

« Reply #2 on: 30/01/18, 03:32pm »
Glastonbury has a lot of luck. You have no control over where you land, and you can lose more turns on the corners. It's easy to lose (or win) several games in a row by no fault of your own.

My priorities are usually spells first and then my color. When I can't get either of those, I try to stick with a few objects and start with low numbers. Memory of what objects you're collecting helps a lot. I don't go after an opponent's color, except maybe one of each object to deny the set bonus.

Haplo

« Reply #3 on: 30/01/18, 04:27pm »
You're right. I've been realizing lately how much luck is involved in Glastonbury. I didn't see it before. I try your same strategy, Chris, but in one game I lost because I took too many spells and not enough point cards. Funny thing is that by bot opponent passed up spell cards toward the end as if they KNEW what was going to happen. I don't know how much the AI is privy too, but it seemed awfully coincidental.

Daiana S.

« Reply #4 on: 30/01/18, 04:29pm »
Glastonbury has a lot of luck. You have no control over where you land, and you can lose more turns on the corners.

You can calculate where you will land, the number on the tile you take tells you how many steps you will move. So if your opponent does not screw it for you, you can plan many movements in advance :D