Author Topic: Your input on replaying games  (Read 10812 times)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Your input on replaying games
« on: 09/03/18, 04:40pm »
Hi all,

We are currently developing a new feature. It will soon be possible to refresh the page while playing. The game will RELOAD completely in a few seconds. This will be a useful option if your game is stuck. It will allow you to carry on playing rather than abandon the game. It is a feature that has long been awaited and we think that you will find it useful.

As a natural consequence of this, we will now be in a position to archive/save games and give you the possibility to REPLAY your games at a later stage.

And so we would like to ask you what you think about it.

Question 1)
Do you sometimes want to REPLAY a game to analyze it? Do you find this feature useful? Will you use it?

Question 2)
Of course, players under Magic Potion will have unlimited free replays. But what about the other players?
We have a few options:
a) replaying a game is completely free and is unlimited too
b) first replay (each day) is free but subsequent replays cost some coins
c) replaying a game costs a few coins
c) replaying a game costs a lot of coins
d) replaying a game until the 30th move is free, but costs some coins afterward (...)
etc.
What are your thoughts? Do you feel that any of these options is fair/unfair? Any alternative?

Note that the feature of reloading a game while playing will always be available, no matter what.
« Last Edit: 09/03/18, 04:41pm by Happy Meeple »

Guest 164586

Re: Your input on replaying games
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/18, 09:05pm »
I'd like clarification on what you mean by replay. 
do you mean -
to be able to watch the game as it played out, but not be able to interact with it except to pause or rerun
or do you mean -
to actually replay the game?

I think being able to watch it to see it unfold would be a useful way to analyze it.  But I think actually replaying it is not needed - unless the results of the replay game did not impact any scores.  To be able to simply replay it for fun, would be fine.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 09/03/18, 11:04pm »
Guest,

I mean go through the game again, move by move, to analyze it.

Carter R.

« Reply #3 on: 10/03/18, 01:17am »
Replays would only be only be needed in games with all open information like Glastonbury, LevelX, Keltis Or, and Finito. Even then in those games I really wouldn't need a replay to know why I lost. Siberia or Hanamikoji for me would be the only games I may use a replay for. There aren't many games with clear if I did this move it affected the outcome of the game because most of the games here have some luck involved. Chess is a popular to replay just because there are open information and no luck involved.

Haplo

« Reply #4 on: 10/03/18, 04:14am »
If the replay is just like watching a recorded game, I might use it occasionally. I don't know if I'd pay gold for it, though. If it allows me to actually do something like rewind to a certain point, then jump in and make different choices from that point on until I finish the game, I'd be willing to pay gold for that, even if it didn't affect my score.

Doctor G.

« Reply #5 on: 10/03/18, 04:30am »
I would replay some games for fun and analysis. I would not spend any coin to do so. I would be most interested in replay if the AI could provide some hints about it's thinking/strategy during the replay.

Stephanie E.

« Reply #6 on: 10/03/18, 07:36pm »
I would never bother to replay a game.  Most people like myself know exactly what mistake they made, when they made it.. and the rest is chance.. so what would be the point.  More fun to play another.. than to watch the water already under the bridge.

Guest 193016

« Reply #7 on: 10/03/18, 11:32pm »
It would be nice to be able to watch replays of the top ranked players (including seeing their hands) to be able to learn from them.