Author Topic: Exaggerated AI changes to at least Level X???  (Read 7013 times)

Carl J.

Exaggerated AI changes to at least Level X???
« on: 16/04/21, 11:07pm »
 Guys, is anyone noticing changes in the AI lately, especially on Level X?

After weeks of repeated strangeness Level X is turning unplayable. Nearly every game ends with the ai closing out 40-50 to 0 or other ludicrous improbabilities. I've been here years and am loathe to critize but for what is probably the hundredth time in a month yet another game is laughably ruined. And I'm not some noob. I fail to see how you can win 15 even 20 in a row and then now lose 5 of 6 repeatedly.

Just this last round of games, anything the computer needs it will get while you get 2 2 2 1 or this last game not one, but three rounds of 6 6 6 3 or 6 3 3 6 when not a 6 or 9 exist on the board and he of course is behind by a ton.

And it isn't just from a losing standpoint. I have recently played games with long time players where it was laughable, win or lose. I don't mean no chance games, those can happen, but games where you are up 60 and 4 or 5 sequences in a row prevent a sure win or you were beyond done and yet  magically you get a string off 10 10 or 6666 to win by 2.

My question is has anyone noticed this and was the luck factor for the ai increased to add a level of difficulty because Ive played for years and it's almost cartoonish now.
« Last Edit: 17/04/21, 12:29am by Carl J. »

Mike A.

Re: Exaggerated AI changes to at least Level X???
« Reply #1 on: 17/04/21, 05:48am »
I'm afraid it's called luck. I seriously doubt any programming is created to give someone an advantage or disadvantage for their rolls. I recently had three out of four games of Keltis Or where the opponent rolled triple stones to win in the last turn. It was infuriating, but luck happens.

Carl J.

« Reply #2 on: 17/04/21, 09:37pm »
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that that is always going to be the response from most as I have the burden of proof, but this was mostly done to see if anyone else has noticed this but me and another member who I won't name.

Believe me I was loathe to write it knowing how it might be received but know that I have been here for years, have played over 10,000 games of just Level X and have routinely been first on the leaderboard for years. I understand luck and of course there are runs. I don't say it lightly but it has diminished my enjoyment.

To that end, it is not about losing, it is about consistent improbabilities happening near the end of most games. In situations that are often less than 1% probable AND they happen concurrently one turn after the other. It is shocking and has never been this bad. That is why I asked if the programmers had tweaked the game to make it harder to win by just makibg the last 8 rolls or so in a game screwy. If I am one of the only obe to notice this then it's just something I have to deal with.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 18/04/21, 11:39am »
Nothing has changed Carl.

We never tweak probabilities or make our bots cheat. And I don't expect we will ever.

Making the bots cheat is tempting as it makes the programmer's job easier.

But changing rolls so that weird things happen in the last few rolls. What's the point? We have other things to bother :)

Carl J.

« Reply #4 on: 19/04/21, 07:59pm »
That's cool, but depending on how you are programming levels of difficulty (which you clearly have) I was speculating if something had changed in regards to rolls and totals. Without the ability to show play by play there is no way to show a difference. I'll just play or not as it suits me. Thanks.

Carl J.

« Reply #5 on: 09/05/21, 07:48pm »
In the last few days,..  Won 26 IN A ROW. Yep. 8 more than my longest run in 4 years playing here. Then lost around 10 of 15 (My year long magic potion ran out so I can't check it exactly) including this last game a staggering 222 to 137 where there wasn't a single chance of coming close from the first roll.

I still enjoy it, but the number guy in me is just baffled by it. No need to reply just venting.

« Last Edit: 10/05/21, 04:14am by Carl J. »

Mike A.

« Reply #6 on: 10/05/21, 05:35am »
Hahaha. Isn't that the way it goes? I was just feeling the same thing with Keltis Or when I lost something like 6 out of 8. Then I won 15 in a row, lost one, won 21 in a row (my best streak ever) to get me to the highest I've ever been.

You rock at Level X. I'm always happy if I win 7 out of 10. 

(Update: And now one of the worst streaks of all-time to plummet 100+ points. Hehehe.)
« Last Edit: 11/05/21, 05:19am by Mike A. »

Carl J.

« Reply #7 on: 12/05/21, 03:22am »
Yep. I should prob change the thread name to "the venting spot" lol.