Author Topic: can't start games on firefox  (Read 8878 times)

Maria W.

can't start games on firefox
« on: 16/02/21, 03:38pm »
Hi,
has anybody else got problems with this site using firefox?
The site loads alright, but when I get to the "full play" button nothing happens when I click it. On the second or third go of loading the site anew I can usually get a game, but at the end of the game the screen freezes, I can't scroll up or down or do anything. Very annoying.
I tried deleting the cookies, but thet didn't really help.
Everything works fine in opera.
Any ideas what's wrong?
Thanks
M W

Carl

Re: can't start games on firefox
« Reply #1 on: 17/02/21, 05:59am »
Firefox works just fine for me on my Mac. Stick with Opera (or Chrome?) if they work... this kind of troubleshooting tends to be pretty hard in my experience.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 17/02/21, 01:45pm »
Does it work on Opera on the same machine?

Andrea P.

« Reply #3 on: 17/02/21, 02:40pm »
I'm having a similar issue with Firefox on Win 10. It seems to occur most often when i am selecting a solo game (Hex and Raging Bulls) that it gets stuck on the loading screen with the coloured meeples. After several attemps I can usually get past this but it is frustrating. I have also had issues placing buildings too.

Works ok on Firefox on my Android mobile though which is strange. Can't check with Chrome as i refuse to install it  ;D

Maria W.

« Reply #4 on: 17/02/21, 04:53pm »
yeah, it works fine - so far - with opera on the same machine.
I have win 7.

just now it froze in the middle of a game - the clock stopped running, I could move pieces around but could not place them on the board.
« Last Edit: 17/02/21, 05:19pm by Maria W. »

Andrea P.

« Reply #5 on: 17/02/21, 07:03pm »
I am experiencing the freezes post game and cannot scroll up or down on the end game screen (no scroll bar on the right hand side of the window). I have to go back to the main menu and work from there.

Strange...

Andrea P.

« Reply #6 on: 28/02/21, 08:56pm »
After having this problem for a couple of weeks now and I think I have found a solution for this (see bottom of post).

It has been driving me crazy. I haven't been able to get Happy Meeple working on Firefox or Edge and as mentioned pereviously I avoid Chrome. I installed Vivaldi all worked OK but was not an ideal workaround as I don't want another browser just for Happy Meeple.

The issues I was experiencing on Firefox (and Edge) were:
1) Clicking on the Market, Castle and Gold icons would open a blank window (which would usually contain the options available in these areas)
2) Some games (especially solo ones like Hex and Raging Bulls) would get stuck on the loading screen with the coloured meeples
3) Freezes post game and unable to scroll up or down on the end game screen (no scroll bar on the right hand side of the window)
4) On the Map I can select to move buildings, but left clicking in an available space does not place them

Solution that worked for me for Firefox:

1. On the left of the box in Firefox where you enter website addresses, there is a shield icon. It was blue on my system to show 'Enhanced Tracking Protection' was on.
2. I clicked on the blue shield and toggled the blue check box to turn off 'Enhanced Tracking Protection'
3. Logged out and restarted browser

Now all is working ok. Can anyone else confirm if this works for them too? It definately does for me (turning Enhanced Tracking Protection back on breaks the site again on my system).

Now if anyone has any ideas for Edge? As Edge is now Blink/Chrome based I would have thought would work ok as Vivaldi & Opera do). I have turned off 'Tracking Prevention' and it doesnt seem to make any difference.

Thanks!

Stuart L.

« Reply #7 on: 01/03/21, 07:23am »
Mine is on (didn't even realise) but everything is working as normal.  Latest version.

Jeff M.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 04/03/21, 01:58pm »
I'm glad you found a solution. 

Here's a potential solution (customized for Firefox) that can be applied to almost all browsers (you just have to find out how to turn off the hardware acceleration in your browser.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/hardware-acceleration-and-windowblinds-crash

for edge try this

https://winaero.com/disable-hardware-acceleration-in-microsoft-edge/

After having this problem for a couple of weeks now and I think I have found a solution for this (see bottom of post).

It has been driving me crazy. I haven't been able to get Happy Meeple working on Firefox or Edge and as mentioned pereviously I avoid Chrome. I installed Vivaldi all worked OK but was not an ideal workaround as I don't want another browser just for Happy Meeple.

The issues I was experiencing on Firefox (and Edge) were:
1) Clicking on the Market, Castle and Gold icons would open a blank window (which would usually contain the options available in these areas)
2) Some games (especially solo ones like Hex and Raging Bulls) would get stuck on the loading screen with the coloured meeples
3) Freezes post game and unable to scroll up or down on the end game screen (no scroll bar on the right hand side of the window)
4) On the Map I can select to move buildings, but left clicking in an available space does not place them

Solution that worked for me for Firefox:

1. On the left of the box in Firefox where you enter website addresses, there is a shield icon. It was blue on my system to show 'Enhanced Tracking Protection' was on.
2. I clicked on the blue shield and toggled the blue check box to turn off 'Enhanced Tracking Protection'
3. Logged out and restarted browser

Now all is working ok. Can anyone else confirm if this works for them too? It definately does for me (turning Enhanced Tracking Protection back on breaks the site again on my system).

Now if anyone has any ideas for Edge? As Edge is now Blink/Chrome based I would have thought would work ok as Vivaldi & Opera do). I have turned off 'Tracking Prevention' and it doesnt seem to make any difference.

Thanks!

Maria W.

« Reply #9 on: 06/03/21, 06:26pm »
hi,

thanks for your suggestions.
i tried both, unfortunately neither worked - maybe someone has another idea?
it's very annoying to have to try over and again to start a game and not to be able to scroll at the end.

Andrea P.

« Reply #10 on: 13/03/21, 08:48pm »
Jeff M, thanks for your suggestion to turn off hardware acceleration in my browser. This does seem to have reduced how often i experience the issues in Firefox (which keep returning) - however it did not work at all for Edge.

However, nothing seems to resolve the issue (like Maria W has) with freezes post game where I unable to scroll up or down on the end game screen.
« Last Edit: 13/03/21, 08:50pm by Andrea P. »