Author Topic: What do all the bot names mean?  (Read 15153 times)

Alex B.

What do all the bot names mean?
« on: 23/10/18, 08:04pm »
I know that they are puns, but I only get some of the references.

Ineedto P.

Re: What do all the bot names mean?
« Reply #1 on: 18/11/18, 05:31am »
Which ones do you know?

Alex B.

« Reply #2 on: 18/11/18, 07:44pm »
Here is my guess on some of them:

Lobotomo = Lobotomy (a surgical procedure on the brain that among other things will reduce one's intelligence).

Botulis = Botulism. A disease caused by a toxin produced by a bacteria.

Botero = ?

Lechebot = ?

Saboteur = a person that sabotages an operation (usually a spy for another side).

Ghbost = Ghost (a spirit of a dead person)

Zombot = Zombie (an animated body of a dead person, sometimes associated with eating the living, especially their brains).

Botiful = Beautiful?

Bot-Dog = Bought dog perhaps?  I don't know.

Botox = A toxin used in plastic surgery.

Botanist = A person that studies plants.

Verboten = A german word meaning "forbidden".

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 19/11/18, 03:12pm »
Nice one. I'll help you a bit on that.

Botero was the name of a famous painter and sculptor. I suppose we could have named the bot Bot-Hero instead.

Lechebot is a French word. A lèche-botte is someone who likes to say what people want to hear.

Bot-Dog sounds like Hot-Dog does not it?

Some of the names could be changed for the better I suppose. If you have a nice idea, please let us know!

Alex B.

« Reply #4 on: 20/11/18, 03:37am »
Thanks!

Jeff M.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 20/11/18, 05:01am »
Interesting...  leche = milk in Spanish and I always thought it was a play on words as  a baby drinks milk and thus it would be a "baby bot"

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 20/11/18, 11:30am »
Leche = milk. Yes you are right.  :D

I like the baby bot idea.

Maybe we should keep this bot's name after all.

David M.

« Reply #7 on: 20/11/18, 05:22pm »
Huh and here I thought that leche-bot was a play on the expression "Milk Run"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_run

Marlene H.

« Reply #8 on: 18/07/19, 05:37am »
Interesting...  leche = milk in Spanish and I always thought it was a play on words as  a baby drinks milk and thus it would be a "baby bot"

and here I always thought of it as a mama bot 
(because mama's make the leche, and probably because of of the world famous La Leche League)

Carolina B.

« Reply #9 on: 12/09/19, 06:08am »
It was interesting to read. I always thought that names are simply selected through the program for random :)

Crapi Z.

« Reply #10 on: 02/05/20, 06:36am »
I know this is an old thread, but it said suggestions were welcome so...

Lobotomo is a fun name. An alternate version in the same theme but with a French twist (sorry if this is terrible in actual French, I am not French!):

Le Bot Ami

…it obviously sounds even more like lobotomy, and it seems appropriate for a bot that plays in a very 'friend'ly manner. To be blunt, I might like Lobotomo more, but I wanted to share the thought.

Other 'bot' names I like are:
Bottleneck
Bottomless
Jaboticaba - a fruit bearing tree
Phlebotomist - person who collects blood for examination, but also the term used in the archaic practice of bloodletting
(The) Abbot - has connotations of seriousness and importance (sounds tougher with 'The')
(The) Botcher - a blend of being a screwup and sounding like butcher (sounds tougher with 'The')
Burbot and Turbot - both are fish (great if you ever set up a game with 2 bots, especially if 2v2)
Botfly - nasty little buggers
Sabot - a wooden shoe (but I wouldn't give up the excellent Saboteur to use Sabot)

On a different thought, and not that anyone asked - the current bot names seem out of order to me. I figure they should be in increasing order of how menacing or difficult they sound. Given that I would sort them like this:

Lobotomo
Botiful
Botero
Lechebot
Botanist
Bot-Dog
Botulis
Ghbost
Zombot
Saboteur
Botox
Verboten

Also, I am not a fan of the bot names Botiful, Botero, Bot-Dog, or Ghbost. I suggest replacing them (whether you use names from my suggestions or not). And I don't like having Botulis AND Botox (since they are derivatives of the same root), so I would replace one of them. I'm not sure which though, they're both good in different ways. Maybe keep Botulis since it's a little more subtle.

So, putting that all together, here's a new list - with my dislikes removed, my favorite suggestions *replacing them, and again in order of how menacing or difficult they sound...

Lobotomo
*Botcher
*Jaboticaba
Lechebot
Botanist
*Phlebotomist
Botulis
*Botfly
Zombot
Saboteur
*The Abbot
Verboten

This sorting order also ends up with thematic pairs. 2 bots that are harmless, 2 that give you something (for better or worse), 2 from academia, 2 that are kinda gross, 2 that are dangerous but manageable, and 2 that have a sense of deep authority.

Yes, I spent way too much time on this.

Cheers!

P.S. I couldn't get any of the emojis (from the row just above the text entry box) to work while entering this post.

Florian K.

« Reply #11 on: 09/11/20, 04:46pm »
A bunch of fun names  ;D. I loved to read through them, trying to find the meaning before reading it. There is definitely potential for a lot of names with "bot".

Haplo

« Reply #12 on: 20/11/20, 10:37pm »
Burbot, Abbot, Phlebotomist, and Botcher are my favorite suggestions from Crapi Z. The others are more obscure. Can we please use them? Preferably in the place of Bot-Dog (which I've always hated), Ghbost (really? who made this one?), Botox, and Botiful.

Alex B.

« Reply #13 on: 21/11/20, 04:39am »
They may need to add extra boys that can actually play cartographers well. Maybe keep the old boys and use the new names for new boys.

Guillaume =)

« Reply #14 on: 19/08/21, 08:59am »
Hello!
For my opinion, the best bot should be named Usain Bot!! Extremely hard to beat for a gold medal...  ;)