Author Topic: Cartographers feedback  (Read 13841 times)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Cartographers feedback
« on: 06/10/20, 05:10pm »
Hello all,

Cartographers has just been released. The game won lots of awards (including being nominated for the Spiel des Jahres this year). It is truly fantastic.

Please give us feedback! We are obviously particularly interested in bugs you may find, or any question that you may have regarding the game.

Thanks for your ongoing cooperation! Have fun!

Nicolas.

PS: please note that this game has no AI as such. The bots in training mode play always in the same nonsensical manner. They are nevertheless useless to learn the various edicts. The 12 bots that you can play in training mode each come with a different set of edict cards. Each edict cards can be found 3 times.
But of course, as always, Verboten is harder to beat than Lobotomo.

PS2: unlike all our other games, there is no way to play Cartographers online against a bot. You will need to find a human opponent. We recommend using the "link access" feature to invite friends that are not yet playing on the platform. By following the link you send them, they will jump into your table immediately with a guest account. Speedy and efficient.

John S.

Re: Cartographers feedback
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/20, 07:48pm »
I second using the bots in training mode to learn the edicts.  That helped me.

Carl

« Reply #2 on: 06/10/20, 11:20pm »
First of all, thanks for the implementation. I found it through the Kickstarter page!

Feedback: Faster scoring (an option to remove all animations). No splitting screens for the new cards, just show them in a corner (I never need to see the screen called ?). An option to place tiles with clicks only as in the app.

I've played 100+ games in the app and I still really like that you offer the multiplayer experience here. It is a quite different game compared to solo.

Also wondering if you are always bringing the monsters into the deck in the same order. You may not. I haven't played enough games that I can tell.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 06/10/20, 11:27pm »
Thanks for the feedback!

Yes faster animations is definitely needed. We will work on that. Hopefully it will be done soon.

The monsters should not always come in the same order. If they do, then it’s an error due to some testing code that we forgot to remove. I would be surprised but it’s possible. What’s your first monster?

Carl

« Reply #4 on: 07/10/20, 06:44am »
Monsters don't seem to consistently come up in any order so I take that back.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 07/10/20, 09:31am »
Good to know. Thanks! Will save me a few minutes.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 07/10/20, 10:26am »
When fixing a small loading issue yesterday, we introduced a visual glitch at the start of the game. This is now corrected.

Frank T.

« Reply #7 on: 07/10/20, 03:46pm »
The game sometimes freezes while I am moving a piece (on Chrome). The only way to unfreeze it is to click on a different tab and click back.

Also, I noticed that Lost Barony counts the tear in the center of the map as filled spaces (as seen in the game with Botanist). This is interesting, because you can just build off of that space for easy points.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 07/10/20, 05:50pm »
Frank, thanks for the feedback.

Looks like your browser is playing tricks on you. Maybe close it completely and reopen?

For Lost Barony, you are right. As the extra information says at the bottom of the page, Wastelands are filled spaces. And that's particularly useful for that edict.

Jeff W.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 08/10/20, 06:04pm »
Absolutely love the game ... wondering if it's possible to extend the timer for the first turn? I feel like, once I'm done reading the 4 edicts, I'm really pressed for time to place that first piece ...

Johannes W.

« Reply #10 on: 18/10/20, 02:10pm »
Hello!
First of all, thank you for implementing the game: it's a very nice implementation.
I found a possible bug in game 4496141. One of the targets was the largest second-biggest city. I had two different cities and they were touching only through corners but I received 0 points. I don't think that's correct and I suppose they were counted as the same city but I think they should count as two.

In another game (i lost the number but it was played on 17/10/2020 evening CET) I had 3 cities of 5,5,4 size and I received a score as if my second biggest was 4 instead of 5. I don't remember if any of these were touching by the corners.
Thanks
Wentu

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 18/10/20, 08:05pm »
Thanks for your detailed descriptions of the issue? Are you aware you can use the replay feature to check on the problem? Go to your profile to find theses replays and screenshots.

In any case, we’ll have a look. Many thanks! Very much appreciated.

Johannes W.

« Reply #12 on: 18/10/20, 08:29pm »
I had another game right now and I could have an explanation! I saw there is a target with very similar iconography that says a different thing: the largest city not bordering a mountain. It could be that the target was this one and I was thinking of the other one and I got confused. If so, I am sorry for the false alarm.

[a few minutes later...]

Yes! It was my fault! I totally misinterpreted the target and thought it was the one about the second largest city! Sorry for the false alarm.

NOT A BUG!
« Last Edit: 18/10/20, 08:35pm by Johannes W. »

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 18/10/20, 08:36pm »
Thanks! Yes 2 red edicts can be confused easily. And some green ones also. Make sure you always read the rules carefully or memorise the edicts’ names to counter the sometimes dangerous iconography.

Ti D.

« Reply #14 on: 25/10/20, 11:41am »
Playing with the "lost barony" challenge and the land with 7 squares torn out in the middle.  It was not at all clear to me that the torn out squares count as completed.  This is not mentioned in the challenge explanation, and my suggestion is that it is mentioned.  I only found out because at the evaluation the software chose to put two stars in the torn out part, rather than over another 2x2 barony i'd built.   This makes a big difference to the stratgy, because you are getting 7 completed squares for free.