General > Happy Meeple community

Feature requests

<< < (2/9) > >>

Jimmy V.:
Thanks for your suggestions!

Jamie, how would you do this? I don't want to repeat "the opponent" in every sentence. And "he" is the pronoun that replaces it naturally. So what else can I use?

Jeff, Good idea of course. I had looked at this, but this appeared to be a bit complicated (as well as expensive as I remember).

Jamie A.:

--- Quote from: Happy Meeple on 18/01/18, 10:28am ---Jamie, how would you do this? I don't want to repeat "the opponent" in every sentence. And "he" is the pronoun that replaces it naturally. So what else can I use?
--- End quote ---

The scattered "he's" sprinkled on various help pages should be easy to fix using common techniques on gender-neutral/gender-inclusive writing.

Lines such as:
"Once the player knows the rules, he is awarded a white meeple."

are generally tweaked to:
"Once a player knows the rules, they are awarded a white meeple."
"Once players know the rules, they are awarded a white meeple."
"When a player knows the rules, a white meeple is awarded."  --- or etc.

The all-male tutorial opponents is probably what you were really thinking about though, and I'm sure they would take more time given the number of tutorials.

The easiest option now may be to randomly select some tutorials and make the opponent a generic she. Players would note in short order that some are he and some are she. 

Probably the better option from the start would have been giving each tutorial opponent a unique name. That would allow (or have allowed for) an escape from the repetitiveness altogether with more natural writing using he/she and the name of the opponent.

"Maria got the new card."
"She must now play one of her 4 actions."
"Let's see what Maria does!"

Jimmy V.:
As a non-English native, I could never have thought of using "they" in "the player" sentences. I know that "everyone" has their say. But I would not have applied the "they" as you did.

It is going to be difficult to implement any change now. But I will keep this in mind for the future. The naming of the opponent is certainly a good idea. As the opponent is always Botessor, I could actually say "it" instead of "he". But our bots are a little bit humans after all this time, aren't they?

:)

Jamie A.:

--- Quote from: Happy Meeple on 19/01/18, 11:41am ---As a non-English native, I could never have thought of using "they" in "the player" sentences. I know that "everyone" has their say. But I would not have applied the "they" as you did.
--- End quote ---

Yes, I thought that was probably the case. While there are still pockets of resistance in some formal sectors, even Shakespeare used the singular "they".  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Carter R.:
I was thinking whenever a game ends in a draw between two players not bots could there be an option to rematch without paying any food against the same opponent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version