General > Rankings, meeples and achievements

Measuring skill/luck ratio in board games

<< < (3/3)

Jimmy V.:

--- Quote ---If success comes too quickly, and then a new player finds themselves slipping back down the rankings, because their initial position did not reflect their performance, but was just the product of an 'encouraging' algorithm, I don't think that will be motivating at all.
--- End quote ---

Definitely, but we don't want that either. The early ELO swing boosts fade rapidly and steadily. And after 24 games, there is no boost any more. The initial boost is 2.5x the normal variation. After a few games it is less than 2.

--- Quote ---I agree. I just saw a white meeple 1400 elo getting more than 40 (yes 40) points after winning ONE single match against a 1437 elo, which is even more than the difference between elos. In the meantime, when trying to get a black one meeple, every match with this small difference in elos will score less than 10 points for me.
--- End quote ---

Please bear in mind that initial ratings are provisional. Noone will show in the rankings list before having played 5 games. And when a new players wins or loses lots of points, it does not affect their opponent neither positively nor adversely. So it does not really matter that we show a win of 40 points. We could also hide this variation and start displaying the player's rating after 5 games.

If someone wins his first 5 games, we can safely assume that their real rating is closer to 1600 than to 1450. That's what the system does.

Also, the boost goes both ways. If the new player is really bad, why would we force them to play "strong" bots all the time when they should be playing weaker bots. It is necessary to seed their ranking as quickly as possible to their true value. A good player will have the same issue. If you are a very good player and wins 20 times in a row against bots that are too weak for you, that is not good for anyone.

As I said, the main idea of the initial boost is to seed the player as quickly as possible so that they can be matched with the best bot-opponent.

PS: I tried to use the "they" pronoun. Hopefully, I have done it the correct way. :)

Jamie A.:

--- Quote from: Happy Meeple on 19/02/18, 10:27am ---PS: I tried to use the "they" pronoun. Hopefully, I have done it the correct way. :)

--- End quote ---

Lol. I think so - it read just like Shakespeare!   ;)

Jeff M.:
Well done!  and I only offer this extra hint since you surprised me by admitting that English wasn't your first language -

Almost always, "his" can be replaced with "their" to be even more neutral.

Jimmy V.:
Thanks Jeff and Jamie!

--- Quote ---Lol. I think so - it read just like Shakespeare!
--- End quote ---

I hope it did not sound like Shakespeare! I wanted to be understandable. :)

NB: this might be a bad joke. In any case, for a foreigner like me, Shakespeare is just impossible to read.

Jamie A.:

--- Quote from: Happy Meeple on 19/02/18, 09:49pm ---Thanks Jeff and Jamie!

--- Quote ---Lol. I think so - it read just like Shakespeare!
--- End quote ---

I hope it did not sound like Shakespeare! I wanted to be understandable. :)

NB: this might be a bad joke. In any case, for a foreigner like me, Shakespeare is just impossible to read.
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha,  Nope, it was a good joke!  >>> http://www.happymeeple.com/forum/happy-meeple-community/feature-request/msg940/#msg940

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version