Author Topic: HexRoller strategies  (Read 6062 times)

Tim B.

HexRoller strategies
« on: 26/04/21, 05:43am »
I have 68 rated games under my belt and my rating is finally over 2100 (currently 2102, good enough for #1 overall) but I feel like my game has stagnated.  I find myself using essentially 2 strategies -- one for the bigger board and one for the smaller.  By this, I mean that I have settled on a generally-achievable configuration (and sequence of priorities) for each of the maps and playing the game consists primarily of trying to manage the differences between the numbers I expect to get and the ones that are actually rolled.  So it came as some surprise to me when I decided to replay a few of the games from other highly-ranked players and found significant differences in the way that they attacked the same-sized boards.  It left me wondering whether, like me, most of you have a target layout in mind for each board and, if so, how much of my relative success is due to a better target, better management, or simply better luck.

To preserve the learning experience for newer players, I am going to avoid describing my configurations/priorities in this post (and suggest that others do the same) but those who are interested in this topic are invited to check out some of my recent games and/or point me to representative games of their own.

Mike A.

Re: HexRoller strategies
« Reply #1 on: 26/04/21, 08:04am »
It has been a while since I played Hex, but I imagine we probably all have ways to attack the board. Then, as you say, we deviate as necessary based on early rolls.

I'm curious, though, how do you check out games from other players?

Regarding your skill/luck, 68 rated games is a decent sized sample. It could still be off some, but that's always the case due to the importance of the last 20 games.

Tim B.

Re: HexRoller strategies
« Reply #2 on: 26/04/21, 07:14pm »
Mike A., you find a player (e.g. from rankings), click to open their profile, scroll down to list of played games, filter by game (if necessary), and find the match you want to see.  The camera icon reveals the final board position; the arrow icon provides a turn-by-turn replay.