Author Topic: HexRoller lost connection scored as 0  (Read 5302 times)

Tim B.

HexRoller lost connection scored as 0
« on: 29/07/21, 11:36pm »
I had finished 4 of 6 HexRoller turns when my connection was unexpectedly lost and the game ended.  When I was able to reconnect, I found that the match had been scored as a zero (0), dropping my rating by 30 points.  This seems a bit extreme.  I realize that there is probably no way to prove that an interruption was accidental and we do not want to reward people for deliberately abandoning games but I would have expected SOME credit for the score I had accumulated to that point.  Better yet, if HexRoller is an untimed, single-player game, it would be nice to be able to resume the game at the point of interruption.  FYI, there is no "final" screenshot to share but a replay of the match is available and shows that, at the end of turn 4, I had 32 points.

From the game before: https://www.happymeeple.com/upload/game/game_5232169_148498.jpg
From the game after: https://www.happymeeple.com/upload/game/game_5232204_148498.jpg

From the game in question:
Date   7/29/2021 4:58:09 PM
Game   HexRoller
(1)   Tim B. (2107)   0 pts
(2)   (0)   0 pts
Screenshots taken by Tim B.

Tim B.

Re: HexRoller lost connection scored as 0
« Reply #1 on: 30/07/21, 12:29am »
I was wondering how other games handle this issue and discovered the following in old Raging Bulls post...

(...)

Regarding your suggestion, we thought about it, but the problem is exactly the one you mention. We cannot be certain that current score is a minimum number of points. It is possible that the score will be reduced with more moves. We try to standardise everything and I am afraid there is no way to be fair with everyone without complexifying the code overly (and increasing the development time and the likely of a bug). Our next game will have the same issue too.

So the only thing we can realistically really do is consider an unfinished game as equivalent to the worst possible performance (which is 1000 for Raging Bulls).

Always finish your games is the main advice here.

If the same strategy (assigning the worst possible performance) was used for HexRoller, it would explain my zero (0) though, with HexRoller, there is less opportunity to reduce one's score in future moves.  Regardless, providing a way to override a really bad result (i.e. by resuming the game from point of interruption -- and perhaps only before another game is started) would still be my preferred solution.
« Last Edit: 30/07/21, 12:31am by Tim B. »