Author Topic: Game freezes explained?  (Read 17047 times)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Game freezes explained?
« on: 20/05/16, 11:45am »
Hello all,

I think I have found the reason of some game freezes or game bugs.

If you have two Happy Meeple windows at the same time, this causes issues. So please make sure you only have one (the latest) window open!

Because we have been redirecting players to the forum more than before and there is now a very visible link to the platform in the forum, this may explain that some players now get two windows more than before and thus explain the little peak in game issues that we have seen in the last couple of weeks.

I will try to find a solution quickly. But in the meantime, please go back to your initial window when visiting the forum. Don't click on the "Play our board games online now!" links.

I hope this helps.

Have fun playing our board games online!

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Game freezes explained (more)
« Reply #1 on: 24/05/16, 11:38pm »
We may have another explanation for game freezes. Today we experienced a game where a player could not draw a card from the deck in Lost Cities, or so he thought. So he lost on time. I asked him to resize his window. He did so and suddenly the deck was flashing so that he could (probably because the game was lost by that time) click on it.
We are not absolutely certain that this is exactly what happened. We could not reproduce the issue in next game. However, it is a likely possibility. I have seen similar issues in the past. Chrome browser may sometimes have issues refreshing the display.
So if your game is frozen, try resizing the window. And of course let me know if that solved (or not) the issue.

Liallan G.

Re: Game freezes explained?
« Reply #2 on: 05/06/16, 10:43pm »
I will try to find a solution quickly. But in the meantime, please go back to your initial window when visiting the forum. Don't click on the "Play our board games online now!" links.

Just curious why that link exists to begin with.  In order to post or do nearly anything (except just read) on the forums, you have to be logged in, and from what I can gather, on the main game page.  So I have to keep that page open and logged in anyway, so I find that link unnecessary.  Does anyone come here without logging in on the game page?

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 06/06/16, 09:54am »
The link is indeed there mostly for new comers that would discover Happy Meeple's forum via a search engine.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 11/06/16, 11:32pm »
A specific player was generating a lot of aborted games by himself. After checking, there are actually no more aborted games now that 2 months ago, if we take this user out of the equation of course.

You can read on this here: http://www.happymeeple.com/forum/happy-meeple-community/another-bad-behavior/

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Game freezes (partially) solved?
« Reply #5 on: 20/06/16, 07:30pm »
Hello all,

After having a good look at the problem, I have found issues with the layer that communicates with our server.

Once things started going wrong, commands that the brower wanted to send (and send again) to the server stayed in the queue and were actually never sent and of course never resent.

Not everything was broken though and forcing the resend seems to solve the issue when it arises. I have already seen a slight decrease in the number of aborted games today. But most importantly, the games that tried to resend commands seem to successfully go to the end.

In my investigation, I have also seen another kind of freeze,that is animations that never complete. This problem seems much rarer though. I will see if I can solve this problem too, although a fix may not be 100% depending on the animations that failed to complete.

Let me know when you have freezes so that I can look further!

Let me know also if the situation has improved on your end! It is always good to hear good news. :)