Author Topic: Draw counts negatively for both players  (Read 14222 times)

Soomin H.

Draw counts negatively for both players
« on: 28/02/18, 01:11pm »
Hi there~

I was just wondering if it would be possible to change this? It's always kind of lame when a winning streak or a quest or something is ruined because of a draw... Wouldn't it be nicer if it counted as null or positively for each player? Maybe I'm in the minority, though~ it's just a thought ^.^

Thanks~! :'(

Stephanie E.

Re: Draw counts negatively for both players
« Reply #1 on: 28/02/18, 04:56pm »
I agree... I started a thread on this a while back... Jimmy has never commented on it.. see my post from last July...

Soomin H.

« Reply #2 on: 28/02/18, 10:57pm »
Oh wow! That was a long time ago T.T Maybe if a lot of people comment, he'll see it? ^.^

Regisbull

« Reply #3 on: 28/02/18, 11:25pm »
I'm adding a comment for visibility.

I totally agree. A draw shouldn't be counted as a defeat. It probably shouldn't be counted as a victory for both players either, since those are two-player games. Just a draw. So if I'm on a streak and have 4 victories without a loss, after a draw, I'd still be at 4 victories without a loss.

So I'd quite happy if this was implemented :)

Soomin H.

« Reply #4 on: 01/03/18, 12:01am »
It probably shouldn't be counted as a victory for both players either, since those are two-player games. Just a draw. So if I'm on a streak and have 4 victories without a loss, after a draw, I'd still be at 4 victories without a loss.

This sounds great to me~ I hate when a streak gets broken like that T.T I don't mind getting zero points, either, but when I lose points it really stings, haha~

Daiana S.

« Reply #5 on: 01/03/18, 12:56am »
I agree. If I hv to lose some points (because of ELO), and I can take it as a loss, then if I m the one with lower ELO I ll win some points... Which still does not make much sense to me talking about victories on a row.
I will be really happy if it changes :D

Haplo

« Reply #6 on: 28/04/19, 09:13pm »
Let me add my voice to this. It looks like it was never addressed. Having a draw is already disappointing by itself, but for it to ruin a winning streak is unconscionable.

In chess, there is also an "undefeated streak". This continues to apply even if a player has a draw. As long as a player's undefeated streak is not tracked on Happy Meeple, a Winning Streak should count as if it were an undefeated streak.

Getting a draw should NOT affect consecutive wins.

Guest 226215

« Reply #7 on: 29/04/19, 12:50am »
Winning is winning, not losing is completely different. Wins in a row is without any draw. Im sorry guys, but even I can understand it, and English is just my second language.

Blackshift

« Reply #8 on: 29/04/19, 10:30am »
I'll add one more voice for the draw not to count as defeat and break winning streaks.

From a game design point of view, it is nearly kind of sad that a 2p-game can have draws (there should be tie-breakers), but the games are what they are. Now, draws should be neutral. It's not defeat, but it's not victory.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 29/04/19, 11:28am »
I am surprised about this. I thought this had been reversed a long time ago and draws did not break winning streaks (many people complained).

Can you confirm that this is the case?

Jeff M.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 22/07/19, 04:54am »
I agree!  Draws shouldn't break a win or losing streak!

Pouche H.

« Reply #11 on: 28/07/19, 01:52am »
Though it appears the 'break' may be removed....and selfishly i'd like to see it gone...A winning streak is a streak of 'winning'...not losing, not draw-ing - but winning.  This is why it is called a "Winning Streak".  Uninterrupted.
It isn't called a "Not losing streak".  That simply stinks of another smelly give in:  Participation Trophies.
« Last Edit: 28/07/19, 05:10am by Pouche H. »

Marlene H.

« Reply #12 on: 29/07/19, 04:59am »
Though it appears the 'break' may be removed....and selfishly i'd like to see it gone...A winning streak is a streak of 'winning'...not losing, not draw-ing - but winning.  This is why it is called a "Winning Streak".  Uninterrupted.
It isn't called a "Not losing streak".  That simply stinks of another smelly give in:  Participation Trophies.

I have to disagree with an Undefeated Streak being considered a participation trophy. 

To me, your attempt to use semantics  (calling it a Not losing streak instead of the more dignified Undefeated streak) seems to be grasping at straws to make your point.  The respect given to an Undefeated streak was around long before anyone invented the idea of the participation trophy.    I don't know when the idea started, but in the chess world it was considered remarkable at least as far back as the 1920's.
https://chess.stackexchange.com/questions/5543/has-any-other-grandmaster-gone-as-long-undefeated-as-capablanca

To receive a participation trophy all you have to do, is to show up for a single game.  To be undefeated you have to play well enough that no one is able to beat you.

Pouche H.

« Reply #13 on: 29/07/19, 10:44pm »
Marlene -
I'm going to hope that English is NOT your native tongue.
Clearly i posted that the idea of a 'not losing streak' stinks just like something else that is equally distasteful, and that is participation trophies.
At no time did i state, or even imply, that continuing a winning streak with a draw in the middle was a participation trophy - just that they both stink.  A metaphor or simile.
But even so - we have here a 'winning streak', not an 'undefeated streak' (to use semantics).