Author Topic: Glastonbury Multi Spells  (Read 7268 times)

Haplo

Glastonbury Multi Spells
« on: 30/01/18, 05:02pm »
Am I the only one who is irritated by the one spell per turn limit? Isn't it enough to limit a player to a single draw? Why must the use of a Declinatio spell (helps you get around the corner), which is based on the structure of the game, prevent you from using a Perlucio spell to see what's in your cauldron, a Vanesco to remove an opponent's ingredient, or an Accio to take a distant ingredient, all of which are more utilitarian (having to do with the functions of the player in the game rather than the game's design)? It seems pretty arbitrary to me. I often find myself calculating where I will land after rounding a corner using Declinatio with plans to use a Vanesco to pull away one of my items my opponent has stolen. It's a pretty desperate situation, and often causes me to forget that petty "one spell per turn" rule. In my opinion, Declinatio should not even count as a spell, since, as I said, it doesn't have any real function within the reality of the game, and is only there to assist you in navigating the board.

Katharine L.

Re: Glastonbury Multi Spells
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/18, 08:08pm »
Being limited to one spell per turn is how the game is designed, and along with the 1-card-per-turn rule, is true to the source material. Glastonbury the board game (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144526/glastonbury) is itself a 4-player reimplementation of a 2-player German game called Kupferkessel Co. (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2533/kupferkessel-co) and while the spells are different in the original German game, one cannot benefit from spells a second time in a row. This is what the Declinatio spell does, allow you to immediately take a second turn. The rules for the games (that the Glastonbury played here is based on) are very clear in this regard.
« Last Edit: 30/01/18, 09:56pm by Katharine L. »