Author Topic: Statistics and high scores  (Read 5331 times)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Statistics and high scores
« on: 07/02/22, 08:16pm »
The following text has just been published in the "List of updates" thread. I am copying it below to open a new thread on the specific subject.

Please feel free to comment and help us improve on it!

2022/02/07 Statistics and high scores

You can now see a list of statistics and high scores for all games.

- average scores (per player position and rating range)
- average win rates (per player position and rating range)
- high scores
- high losing scores
- low winning scores
- top rated matches
- latest top rated matches

For all tables, when a minimum rating is indicated, it means that both players must have this minimum rating for a match to be considered. So, for example, in the averages table, the row >1500 takes into account all games where both players had over 1500 at the start of the game.

Matches with the weakest bots have been excluded everywhere except in the averages table.

Some earlier matches (from 2012-2013-2014) were excluded because we did not record either scores or ratings.

You can have direct access to screenshots of the match as well as replays, provided they were recorded. Screenshots and replays were available from march 2018.

See here the stats and high scores for Cartographers: https://www.happymeeple.com/en/board-games/cartographers/stats-high-scores/

I am sure this will answer many questions. Have fun with all this good data!

Hugo M.

Re: Statistics and high scores
« Reply #1 on: 10/02/22, 02:15pm »
Dear Jimmy and team,

thank You very much for this extensive new statistics. It took a while to explore them and I'm yet not thru. They are very interesting and helpful - when I first started here I wished to become a feeling how strong the players are in the games. Under magic potion I could have a look in their profile-statistics but it was laborious to scroll thru the best rated players. And now I could see an up to now unknown leading player!

A few comments:
• I noticed that there are trainig matches included in the top rated list (e.g. in Raging Bulls).
• In Circle The Wagons dominates Verboten the whole top rated list! Maybe it'll be good to show only the best match of each player, although then the humans don't will be get the appreciation they deserve.
• I am a little bit confused about the sorting order of the "latest top rated matches": Is this chronological? Because (e.g.) in Level X there is a 1928 rating between several eighteenhundreds. The dates are only given in months/years.
• In Level X the highest rating range group in the average scores includes over 18000 matches! Is it possible to subclassify them further? Although in Cartographers the highest group is "> 1900" even Gary S. just break the 2400 score points threshold! And e.g. in Raging Bulls the highest range group has over 2500 matches. Would it cost too much computing power changing this?
• Last but not least: I wondered when I changed to the new statistics that there not opened a new browser tab like in the callenges-ranking lists of Ranging Bulls - when I closed the tab Happy Meeple was gone ... Maybe it's why there is the ability to replay the matches?

Again thank You very much - nice job!

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 10/02/22, 02:39pm »
I noticed that there are trainig matches included in the top rated list (e.g. in Raging Bulls).
Yes training matches are included. We considered offering online matches only high scores but decided against it in the end.

In Circle The Wagons dominates Verboten the whole top rated list! Maybe it'll be good to show only the best match of each player, although then the humans don't will be get the appreciation they deserve.
Yes I have thought of that, but then the database queries becomes much more complicated and most importantly much slower. It was already a struggle to display all these stats in a reasonably short time (below 0.4s for each table).

I am a little bit confused about the sorting order of the "latest top rated matches": Is this chronological? Because (e.g.) in Level X there is a 1928 rating
between several eighteenhundreds. The dates are only given in months/years.
Yes chronological. Last matches on top.

In Level X the highest rating range group in the average scores includes over 18000 matches! Is it possible to subclassify them further?
Unfortunately, there has been very few (86 matches) between players over 1900. That's why we don't display it. We stop displaying information when there are fewer than 500 matches for statistical significance.

Last but not least: I wondered when I changed to the new statistics that there not opened a new browser tab like in the callenges-ranking lists of Ranging Bulls - when I closed the tab Happy Meeple was gone ... Maybe it's why there is the ability to replay the matches?
Yes maybe opening a new tab would be better. Not sure. It is easy to come back to the platform anyway so I don't think it is a big deal. If we open a new tab, it leads to other issues, like having two tabs with Happy Meeple pages.

Thanks for your nice words. Nice to read that you enjoyed these stats and high scores.

Hugo M.

« Reply #3 on: 10/02/22, 03:21pm »
Many thanks for Your answers and explanations!