Author Topic: Feedback on the Daily Meeple  (Read 34272 times)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Feedback on the Daily Meeple
« on: 05/05/16, 01:45pm »
As you can read in the update thread, we have just updated the platform with The Daily Meeple, a personalized newspaper.

Please give feedback on this new version here!

- Does it work?
- Are the most important news displayed?
- Are there useless stuffs?
- What more news do you need?
- Any bug?

Thanks for your help!

Stéphane C.

Re: Feedback on the Daily Meeple
« Reply #1 on: 05/05/16, 04:22pm »
everything's fine except the number of "victoires consécutives" .. in english ?

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 05/05/16, 05:21pm »
Stéphane, I don't get it. I have got it in French here and "Victoires successives" is there in French.

What do you see exactly? In what section of the Daily Meeple? And what text do you see when you click on the link?

Pouche H.

« Reply #3 on: 05/05/16, 06:36pm »
Firstly, let me say that i enjoy your site and appreciate having the opportunity to play.  I also think you've done a very nice job in the setup and implementation of the games (though i'd love to see Lost Cities as 3 rounds!).
Regarding the new layout, however, i personally preferred the older style - and not because i'm adverse to change! :) - the new layout is simply too large with immaterial information included.
The 'Daily Meeple' box is far, far too large.  I have ZERO need to see 3 lines of my 'successive wins'...i was actually there...and know i won. :)
However, you've also changed how i collect my loot for those wins, and i far preferred the old style where my gold popped up!
I'm also not a huge fan of knowing what my/any friends have accomplished with THEIR successive wins - so i agree that we should have the opportunity to hide both of these placeholders.
Along those lines, the shrinking of what DOES matter to me - the box with the map/castle/inn/market/etc. is now too small and i am personally  far more interested in these features that most anything in the 'Daily'.
While i appreciate you've created a community, where people can gather to play games, compete and socialize...some of us are only here for the playing.  We don't do social media, we don't have tons of 'friends' here, we don't even necessarily wish to interact...we just wish to play, whether against bots or humans.  It is all about the winning (am i too competitive?!? :) )
I realize i must sound like an anti-social miscreant, but for those of us who come merely to play, we'd like some options please.
And again, great site.  And thank you.

Mike M.

« Reply #4 on: 05/05/16, 06:58pm »
I quite like the concept of 'The Daily Meeple', but perhaps it could be moved to the bottom?  I know fewer people will access it, but the alternative is that it is still there for those who do!

As for the format 'issues' we (myself and Jimmy) discussed earlier... the font gets weird on some log-ins.  Here is an example of non-uniform font sizes and no way to adjust them.  (Also included as an attachment and colored out friend names)

Mike M.

« Reply #5 on: 05/05/16, 07:22pm »
And now its all the smaller of the fonts. 

Stéphane C.

« Reply #6 on: 05/05/16, 07:32pm »
Stéphane, I don't get it. I have got it in French here and "Victoires successives" is there in French.

What do you see exactly? In what section of the Daily Meeple? And what text do you see when you click on the link?

"successive wins" in english = 3 lines and when I click it shows the pop up with the gold earned with my successive wins. Personnally, I Don't find it useful.

To me I prefer the new layout.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 05/05/16, 11:12pm »
Mike,
The size of the font is the intended one. Thanks for posting the attachment. I don't know if you added it later, but I could not see your attachment first. So I checked I could post an attachment myself. But now I see your attachment so everything is fine.
So yes, this is the normal font for recent news. If your friend has done something special since you last logged in, it will be shown in a bigger font. Or if you are logged in and they have just done something interesting. Apparently it is not obvious to you.
Did you blank out the names of your friends? At first I thought there was some sort of bug before I thought about this more likely option.

Stéphane,
Now I get it. The repeated "Successful wins" has already been spotted by 3 persons (including you). We will do something about it soon. Don't worry! This is only The Daily Meeple version 1. It will improve quickly in the coming weeks/months.

Pouche,
I really appreciate you taking the time to come back to me, even if it is not really the kind of thing I like to hear (as you imagine). It shows that you care for the platform. And that's the most important thing. Thanks also for your compliments! They are well heard and appreciated.
It was the intention to offer games over several rounds. Actually Finito has been programmed like this from the start. It would be relatively "easy" to replug the match (match = several games) element in terms of coding. But not so easy in terms of interface. How would you cope with it with the meeples system, etc. It would be a headache and I don't need an extra headache :) So maybe some day, but not tomorrow.
The new layout of the top part is much higher that the previous one. But the buttons have the same size as before. Someone else also pointed out that the buttons were too small but they did not change. Maybe they need a bit more room around them to look bigger. But then we lose a few extra pixels in height which is not desirable.
You don't need to get to the news to get your loot. It is already credited when the news is generated. So you can ignore it if you know what it is talking about.
Hiding the Daily Meeple would not be very pratical (I don't want to manage two different layouts, I have done that in the past, too much extra work for little gain) as well as not convenient for the future. Keep in mind that more things are coming like Daily quests or player targets/goals or ranking news or even platform important news or offers. Wheat field harvest time might also be added there too. So, many things will come there.
Lots of players are like you wanting to play, compete and not socialize and I perfectly respect that. But it is my job to make this place friendly and try a way to make it grow. Happy Meeple cannot be the place of board gamers liking quick games because that's too small a market. We want to get in touch with the mass market. And we keep looking for ways to make the platform easier and easier to use and more and more friendly. Be assured that I don't want to aleniate any player. At worst, you'll need to scroll a little bit when accessing the menu page. My bet is that you will soon forget about this.
Again thanks for taking the time to exchange on this. It is only by hearing from players that I can get a good idea on how the platform is used and what the needs are.

Guys, send me a private message on the platform and I'll credit you some coins. You deserve it.

Andrew N.

« Reply #8 on: 27/05/16, 02:36am »
The 20th century called:  they want their "newspaper" back ...

Liallan G.

« Reply #9 on: 04/06/16, 11:01pm »
Despite that you don't want to hear it, I actually agree with Pouche on a lot.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to come here for a few months, so I don't have as good a memory on the old platform.  However, I do know I didn't find it as confusing. When I came back I couldn't find anything. And somehow those icons do seem smaller, but I guess it's an optical illusion.

I don't pay attention to the Daily Meeple either.  If I got a new meeple or achievement, I already know it.  And it continues to blink as though it's something new, when it's probably still blinking from four games ago, meaning it's not very useful in my opinion. It doesn't show a game name or anything, so unless it just happened (in which case I already know), then I don't even know what it's referring to.  (The thing is blinking 3 things at me right now and I have no idea what for.)

Like Pouche, I don't care what my friends have done.  (Right now I don't have any, but I am far, far from the kind of person who has to know every little thing my friends do and be informed of it immediately.  BGA does this and I just don't care.)  I'm not into social media either.  I can be social, but mostly on forums, and I'm very slow to get to know people, and very slow to "friend" someone. (Sorry, but I think the whole concept of having 300 friends on FB that you don't really know is ludicrous, and I know tons of people who agree.)  I play games f2f and then it's much about being social, and here I'm just here for the games.

And lastly, and at least this part you don't have to take offense at :-), but there's also a visual issue.  Hopefully this image works... if so, you'll be able to see why I didn't even realize there was a forum.  ;) (I'm on Firefox/PC, zooming in and out did nothing.)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 05/06/16, 10:46am »
Thanks Liallan for this very useful comment. I will rework on the Daily Meeple soon.
Can you attach the image please? It seems it did not get through. If you can't here, please send it by email! Thanks!

Liallan G.

« Reply #11 on: 05/06/16, 10:46pm »
The image is attached and I can see it. I noticed you had trouble seeing someone else's image that I can see fine.  Something on your end?

But I'll send it through PM.

Liallan G.

« Reply #12 on: 05/06/16, 10:55pm »
OK, I don't know how to do that. There isn't any way to attach anything to a PM or email that I can see.

There's the "insert image" button but all it does is put tags for an image and I don't know what it wants in there - I can't insert it without uploading it somehow and a tag isn't an upload.

If you still can't see the one I originally attached in my other post, I'll try BGG.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 06/06/16, 09:53am »
I did not see the attachement because I was not logged. I can see it now. Thanks!

By PM, I was thinking by email actually. As we have been in touch lately, you know how to find me.

Thanks again!

Nicolas.

Guest 134093

« Reply #14 on: 08/06/16, 06:54am »
 :)