Author Topic: Lost Cities makeover behind the scene  (Read 29000 times)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Lost Cities makeover behind the scene
« on: 26/01/16, 03:12pm »
Hi all,

We are working on Lost Cities again! The game will benefit from all the new technology and from the tools developed for Migrato. It will also have the same screeen size as Migrato.

I have started to tell the story on Boardgamegeek.com.

Read it here: Lost Cities makeover behind the scene

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Lost Cities makeover (Episode 2)
« Reply #1 on: 27/01/16, 11:04am »
Episode 2 is released. Follow the initial link!

Mike M.

Re: Lost Cities makeover behind the scene
« Reply #2 on: 27/01/16, 01:00pm »
So far so good!  I love the incorporation of the actual game board!  Will you be doing the panorama card art too?  The art on the cards has always been a nice touch of flavor.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 28/01/16, 11:36am »
Well, the actual board game has always been there Mike. What do you mean?

You question about the panorama card art is a very good one and I don't have an answer yet. But be sure it is at the back of my mind. I'd certainly like to use more of the game art, but I am not sure how to do it. I will have to come up with a solution though.

The cards will be much bigger than currently (and I will hide the opponent's cards which will leave more space too). But will that be enough to use the original cards? Will the number be easily readable? I don't know. There might be an intermediate solution: use the original card backgrounds but not the numbers of the cards. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your interest!

BTW, day 3 is now published. Have a good read!

Mike M.

« Reply #4 on: 28/01/16, 01:29pm »
Great reading.  I am excited by this because, as you already know, Lost Cities is the primary game I play here.  I hope the panoramic art can make it on, but I understand these things aren't easy and won't stop playing if it can't make it on!  I have always liked that the expedition cards have had the 'object of desire' and the 10 have the same object in full view.  Just a really cool flavor aspect of the game. 

As for the original game board, I suppose it has always been there, but in the new version it looks more complete?  I don't know if I can make sense of this.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 28/01/16, 03:49pm »
Mike,

Have you looked at the illustrations carefully? Did you notice that there is actually only one big image, zoomed in differently depending on the number? It took me a while to realize this.

Regarding the board you are right. To save some space, I only displayed the central bit in current version. The new version will probably benefit from the extra pixels. Hopefully, i will be able to show the objects that float around the board.

Mike M.

« Reply #6 on: 28/01/16, 08:15pm »
Yes, that is what I mean by 'panoramic art'.  If you overlap them you get one image that gets closer to the object on the 10 card.  And the object on the 10 card is a picture hanging on the wall for the $$$ (expedition) cards.

Point illustrated on link: http://boardgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Lost-Cities-card-theme.jpg

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 29/01/16, 09:20am »
Yes, it would be nice to use those, but it is not easy. Great would be to be able to scroll the background (I have the big images in one piece) but I doubt I can make that.

You enticed me to start moving artwork around. I have still a problem of space. The new size is only 46 pixels higher. That does not leave me with much more useful space actually. The new size is much wider but for Lost Cities layout, it is not of much help. It is next to impossible use the space on the right anyway. It is too small to display the hand or anything useful. There is nothing to display vertically in Lost Cities.

I am wondering if I am not going to display the player's hand below the actual playing zone...

As for the board, I don't like the wood background too much. I might get rid of it.

I've just posted a few images in the BGG thread soon.

Feel free all to give feedback as it will help me figure out the best layout!
« Last Edit: 29/01/16, 10:39am by Happy Meeple »

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 29/01/16, 10:41am »
Another interesting question that will come up. Can you let me know our thoughts about the game atmosphere (=music).

Do you like it or is it too creepy? Too scary?

Thanks!

Mike M.

« Reply #9 on: 29/01/16, 01:23pm »
Let me start by saying that you are doing a GREAT job with all of this.  I can't really think of a way to do it better and I know what you are doing is really tough!  I just like to voice my likes of the game in hopes they can become reality.

As for the wood background... get rid of it if you don't like it!  Or moreover, get rid of it if it isn't enhancing other aspects of the game. 

As for the music:  Honestly for me it isn't a huge issue.  I find the music a bit odd but I spend most of my time playing while listening to other music or I am at work with no sound at all!

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Lost Cities makeover (day 5)
« Reply #10 on: 01/02/16, 02:17pm »
Hi all,

The next episode (day 5) is ready. Follow the initial link!

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 03/02/16, 06:34pm »
Day 7 was published today.

Good progress made.

And you'll see more tomorrow. Visually,we are getting there.

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
Lost Cities makeover (day 8)
« Reply #12 on: 04/02/16, 11:01am »
Day 8 published.

The latest screenshot may be final.

I will now (re)work on the tutorial.

Have fun!

Stephanie E.

« Reply #13 on: 04/02/16, 10:19pm »
wow,. looks really good!