Author Topic: How in the world can this happen?  (Read 6204 times)

Marlene H.

How in the world can this happen?
« on: 26/10/20, 01:34am »
Around 4:00 AM NE US time, I went to the Inn and saw what appeared to be someone playing Hanamikoji against themself.

Mocha Y. was playing vs Mocha Y.

How in the world can this happen??

I attempted to attach a screenshot, but it might have been too large a file.   
I don't know how to reduce it.  If someone can instruct me how to make my png file fit, or how to convert it to something that will fit, I would much appreciate it.

Jeff M.

• Global Moderator
Re: How in the world can this happen?
« Reply #1 on: 26/10/20, 01:53am »
So I wonder if Mocha Y.  was actually playing Mocha Y .   ?  or perhaps there was a legitimate glitch.

Sometimes folks can start to copy names of each other to be "funny".  It's something I don't quite understand.

In any event, I didn't see any "Mocha" listed in the top 100.  If you see it again, please try and get a screen shot of it.  Often the screen shots will need to be reduced in quality before uploading them. 

If this was a deliberate effort to cheat and raise one's rank it would be dealt with appropriately.

Marlene H.

« Reply #2 on: 26/10/20, 02:12am »
Thanks for your quick response, and your explanation.
Your explanation does make sense.  I was soooo baffled when I saw that!

I did screen shot it.  But the site won't take my screen shot because the file is too big.  I don't know how to make it small enough to upload.  My file in a png file.   Would it get smaller if I just saved it as some other kind of format?
(meaning, if I "re-saved as" to a different file type?  - and if so, what file type would be small enough?)

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 26/10/20, 11:15am »
I thought the explanations by Jeff made sense. And that's the most likely explanation in that case.

However, here, I can't find a game between two Mocha Y. So it is a bit weird. Maybe there was unlikely glitch in the interface.

To reduce the size of your screenshot, you can use tinypng.com. It will work with PNG or JPG files.

Geraldine M.

« Reply #4 on: 26/10/20, 11:40am »

If this was a deliberate effort to cheat and raise one's rank it would be dealt with appropriately.

I know nothing about Mocha, but I do remember another player said some time ago (in the inn, I think) they frequently play themselves using another name. And there seemed to be no punishment, or even a comment from admin that this is unacceptable. I was actually quite shocked.

Maybe there needs to be a prominent note reminding users that this is prohibited?

Jimmy V.

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 26/10/20, 11:47am »
Of course, this is prohibited, especially if this is a way to inflate rating. You can always click on their name and then click on the report button to let us know. We can't monitor everything.

It may also be a coincidence. We now have two strong players called Carl J.

Florian K.

« Reply #6 on: 09/11/20, 12:39am »
Good I saw this thread, I think I also encountered such a situation. I also didn't understand why this happened. But those explanations definitely give sense.
I will report it, if I see this again.